The 2011-2012 school year is quickly ending and final preparations are being made for graduation. Graduation will be held at the Alumni Sports and Fitness Center of Franklin and Marshall College, on June 5, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. With the commencement ceremony being held at Franklin and Marshall College, below is information that will be important for all to know so that the ceremony is successful and enjoyable for everyone.
- Commencement practice will be held on June 4 and 5. Students are to report to the high school auditorium by 8:00 a.m. Participation in all commencement rehearsals is mandatory. Students who may have a conflict with any of the practices need to contact Mr. Gale prior to the first practice.
- Practice on June 4 will be in the auditorium from 8:00 a.m. until about 11:00 a.m. At the conclusion of practice, students will receive their cap, gown, tassel, victory hood and tickets. It is strongly recommended that the gown be taken out of the package and hung up to remove wrinkles. Senior class picnic will follow rehearsal.
- Practice on June 5 will begin at the high school at 8:00 a.m. Students will be transported by bus to Franklin and Marshall College for practice. At the conclusion of practice, students will be brought back to the high school.
- All students are to report to the high school by 5:15 p.m. on June 5. Students will be assigned to a classroom in the English/Social Studies Wing where they will line up.
- Students are to dress appropriately according to the following guidelines:
§ Ladies – dresses should not stick out above neckline of gown, dark shoes, NO HEELS or sneakers, dresses should not be longer than knee length so as not to stick out below hem of gown.
§ Gentlemen – dress pants, dress shirt and tie, dark dress shoes and socks, no sneakers or flip flops.
- Students should make sure they have their gown, cap, tassel and victory hood. There are no extra items, so students should take great care in making sure all items are in their possession.
- Students are not permitted to have cell phones, cameras, other electronic devices, or sunglasses during the ceremony. Because access to the high school will not be available after the ceremony students will not be permitted to leave anything in the classrooms. It is strongly recommended that all valuables are left at home, locked in their car or given to parents.
- At 6:00 p.m., students will board buses to travel to Franklin and Marshall College for the commencement ceremony. All students are required to ride the bus to the ceremony. Please plan accordingly to ensure that each student arrives at the high school by 5:15 p.m.
- After the ceremony is completed, students are not expected to return to the high school. Diplomas will be distributed immediately after the ceremony on the second floor of the Alumni Center. There will be one bus that will return to the high school for those students who need transportation.
- The graduation ceremony is a formal ceremony that marks an important event in each student’s life. In order for this to occur, we need the cooperation of every member of the Class of 2012 and each person in attendance. For most, the highlight of the ceremony is the presentation of the diplomas. During this time, it is important that everyone present refrain from making any cheers or noises that will distract from a student’s names being heard. Once all students have received their diploma, a time of celebration will be included in the program.
- Each student will receive eight (8) tickets for the ceremony. Each person attending the ceremony must have a ticket to enter. If you are in need of special arrangements or handicapped seating, please contact Mrs. Dammerman in the high school office at 872-9520, ext. 1809.
- Please make arrangements to arrive at the ceremony on time. The Alumni Sports Center will open at 5:30 p.m. Seating is on a first come basis. I strongly encourage you to consider traffic and parking arrangements when planning your departure time.
- Please refer to the F&M Event-parking map of the campus of Franklin and Marshall College for parking information. Lots I, K and the Armstrong Parking Lot are the main lots available that evening. There is on street parking and other lots on campus that will be available.
- Again this year, Penn Manor High School will be televising the commencement ceremony on the internet. Directions for this will be posted on the district website.
It is with great excitement that we make preparations for this year’s commencement. Your cooperation and support is greatly appreciated in making the commencement memorable and successful. Please do not hesitate to contact the high school if you have any questions.